Sunday, August 26, 2012

96 Days & Counting!


WOW, could it be so?  I have 96 days left on my Novelty Retirement Clock!  (A blue cartoonish object purchased on Amazon for a ridiculous $14, eeek!)  Counting assorted holidays & days off for doctors appointments, that is actually only 64 working days!  (My last day is November 30, 2012.)   A lot of people tell me that the days will go by like a speeding bullet, but I don't think that's true at all.  I find every day unbearably slow, and I am actually considering using some of my vacation so I can leave even earlier. (I have 200 hours vacation which cannot be converted into service credit.)  I know my boss won't be happy about it, but frankly, who cares?  28 years of near non-appreciation from most of my superiors and I'm supposed to give a Flying F**k?  (Pardon the salty language, but I'm a bit pissed at the moment.)

It's funny, but after working here for so long, I no longer have a sense of the weight & depth of real life.  I come to work. I get my coffee. My boss emails me my assignments for the week.  She checks with me to see if I'm ok with it. I work for eight hours. If there happens to be a stray electron of amusement in my working day, it comes from some cynical friend or from the internet. I work some more.  At 4:45 PM, I leave.  And every two weeks, I get paid.  Thats It.

96 days left on my retirement clock.   Tick tock, tick tock ...


                                                   

4 comments:

  1. You know, I think the trick it to begin planning for what you will do when you retire ~ that might help the clock tick a bit faster and coming up with personal game plans and goals can be SO invigorating! ;)
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I almost peed my pants reading this! I came over here from Sharon's blog Plumrose Lane to say Hi and introduce myself (I'm your newest follower by the by) but I didn't have any idea what a treat I was in for!!!! You have just become my best buddy... alas we are on opposite coasts but isn't that like life to separate two kindred spirits by ever expanding obstacles? At least there is the Internet! LOL! Well, I am going to definately enjoy reading your blog...
    Fabulous to meet another one like me!!!
    I'm so happy I could squeal, hell, why not since I am already not working and at the moment sitting at home in my studio - yes "Louise"...depsite what "they" want you to believe there is MOST DEIFINATELY LIFE AFTER WORK!!!! Actually that is when life begins again after the long hiatus between childhood and now! LOL!
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to come back and add a smidge more to my very overly long first comment to say I just read your "About Me"... are you by chance a librarian? I have a Master's in library and information science from Simmons College in Boston - over paid for it and never actually got a job...LOL! I'm also friends with 2 of your followers, well of course besides myself... Electra and Sharon... small world my friend! Oh and please excuse the typo(s) in the first comment I left... brain moving much quicker than fingers... LOL!
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why the REPLY button doesn't work on each comment. [Tipsy is glum.]

    So I will reply here! Huzzahhh!

    Actually, Sharon, I already know exactly what I will do the Day After. CLEAN HOUSE! DONATE 2/3 OF MY STUFF! MAKE LITTLE BOOKS! GO ABROAD & PINCH A ROMAN'S BOTTOM! Its just that everyday seems slooower than molasses. Its like my brain has already retired & leaking crap like a used up teabag. I want to quit now!

    Beth, I am so glad to meet you. I certainly don't mind a smidge of squealing, LOL. Unfortunately, I am not a librarian; I am a cataloging assistant (trained on the job) at a very large law library, so I don't even get to copy catalog interesting books. Are thee Interested in books on torts, commercial litigation, with the occasional foray into Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch? AHA, I thought not. Hahahaha!

    Anyhoo, may I repeat that I am so very glad to meet you -- you guys certainly made my day. Enjoy the blog; I have a feeling my mood won't improve any time soon, chortle. :)

    ReplyDelete