Sunday, January 20, 2013

My .. Err, Winter Garden


Thank God for a sustained week of warm weather.  After shivering in my thick wooly socks and harlequin-bright fleece pants since mid-December, I have finally ventured into the garden to survey the lay of the land.  The freesia and ranunculus bulbs I planted in late October have sprouted healthy clumps of leaves (some of the blade-like freesia foliage measure nearly a foot & a half), but so far, I see nary a flower bud.  Because this is California, a few of the roses are still in flower including an ever-blooming Lady of Guadalupe and a 4 year old Rhonda which I am training to grow around an arch. Three weeks ago, I decided to do some serious seed-sowing -- that is, I opened a 6 gram bag of *Carousel* zinnias (good until 2014!), and freely tossed the contents into the rain-softened ground.  Some sprouted, but more were eaten by birds, who were already having a grand old time eating the kibble I set out for the neighborhood's feral cats.  I also planted cherry rose nasturtiums and the sweet pea *America* -- mainly, because the seeds are large & manageable and easily planted with a chopstick.  Just poke a hole with the pointy tip, drop the seed, then cover.  I hope something shows up by February.  

Did I mention that I also found some nice flowering rose-orange coloured snapdragon in Home Depot for $1.99 for 6 plants?  Huzzah! I love Cheap!  I bought 36 plants (should have bought more) and planted them amongst some ugly, newly pruned shrubs, where they attract so much attention that passing toddlers pull them out of the ground to give to their mothers.  Damn it, you kidlets!  Drive to Home Depot and get your own crummy snapdragon!

                         
                                                                 In my dreams ...

1 comment:

  1. I just required some celebrity dresses, tattoo shops, climbing shoes information and was searching on Google for it. I visited each page that came on first page and didn’t got any relevant result then I thought to check out the second one and got your blog. This is what I wanted!

    ReplyDelete